The California Citizens Redistricting Commission has declared September as 'COI Blitz' month. During the next few weeks, we will continue to encourage Communities of Interest (COI) input, which will allow you to describe and map the parameters of your community. This will inform commissioners about which parts of your community you wish to keep together during the redistricting process.
Here are a few ways you can celebrate COI Blitz September with us.
1.) Provide input by using our online COI Tool today. If you already did, we thank you for your participation. Make sure your network does as well. It's easy and fun! Please visit:
2.) Host a COI training with your network. Commission staff have created a PowerPoint training on the basic elements of redistricting and a step-by-step tutorial for how to provide input. Request your presentation today by visiting:
3.) Help us get the word out. The success of the Commission depends on the public's participation. We have three videos to help you promote the work of the Commission.
What is a Community of Interest (COI)
How will the Commission use Community of Interest (COI)?
WHEN PROVIDING INPUT TO THE COMMISSION YOU WILL BE ASKED TO DESCRIBE YOUR COMMUNITY.
While there are no clear rules on how to define a community of interest, we’ve identified ways for you to describe your community.
- Begin with your county or city.
- Mention the street names and significant locations in your neighborhood to help us identify the parameters of your community.
- What are your shared interests?
- What brings you together?
- What is important to your community?
- Are there nearby areas you want to be in a district with?
- Nearby areas you don't want to be in a district with? Why or why not?
- Has your community come together to advocate for important services, better schools, roads, or health centers in your neighborhood?
For examples of COI testimony, please visit our Commission Database, which includes all public input submitted to date: https://www.wedrawthelinesca.org/data.
For more direction on how to provide testimony, please visit: https://www.wedrawthelinesca.org/participate.
Do you like this page?